Friday, April 13, 2007

Where oh where is Spring?



Where oh where can you be? I am so ready to... Ok I will get back to Spring in a minute. Do any of you have a dog that you can't wear shoes around? It can be any kind of shoes, crocs, tennis shoes or sandals. As soon as Hutch sees me in shoes he follows behind me nibbling at my pant legs and shoes. I tell him "no bite" and he will stop for a minute. I know why he does it, he wants to make sure he does not get left behind. Mom + shoes = go in car. Just a moment ago I went down the hall, with him on my heels, and took my shoes off and put them away. He looked at the shoes, then me and back at the shoes again. I was able to walk down the hall sans dog.
This is the hail we got just a few days ago.
Now back to Spring. I am so ready for this weather to pick something and stay that way. Back in March we had the AC on for a few days. Mid April we are turning the heat up and having frost advisories. The kids are stuck inside and getting on everyone's nerves! Olivia and Eli have one or two pairs of pants that fit. Soon they're going to have to wear shorts no matter how cold. John has to dress up like the little boy in the movie A Christmas Story, to ride the motorcycle to work.
Then there are my azaleas. My very favorite next to roses I look forward to these blooming every spring. They are more than just flowers to me. I have been coming to this house since I was about 4 years old. Enjoyed countless Thanksgivings, Easters and Christmases. We live in my grandparent's house. We bought it from them in June of 1998. My grandfather died that November. My grandmother died two years ago on the 16th of this month. This house is my grandparents. The azaleas are my grandpa. He spent more years than I can remember grooming the purple ones. There are about 5 bushes next to each other, he cut and trimmed them into one long hedge. People have stopped and asked about it, in full bloom it is beautiful. It makes me terribly sad to see them this way.

8 comments:

  1. But they'll bloom beautifully again next year, steady as ever.

    Could you do me a favor and shoot me an email? I want to make sure I don't send a note off to the wrong Sonya and have them go, "Huh?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your azaleas. I know how you feel about them - my dad loved camellias and had some beautiful ones in his yard. After he and my mom died and before we sold the house, my sister and 2 of my brothers dug them up and transplanted them at their homes. Unfortunately, I couldn't since I knew the prairie winters would kill them :((

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want spring too! We had snow on Thursday!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so ready for Spring too Sonya...you just don't even know!
    Beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The same thing is happening in our neck of the woods. I have lost nearly all of my plants and I'm terrified that my Japanese Maple may not make it...I recently transplanted it and a rose bush when it turned off warm, now they both look worse for wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, your yarn looks MUCH better than mine. The snow finally melted off the pool...but now the front yard is a small pond. Eww!

    I can't wait until it's actually spring. I love azaleas. Do you think yours'll come back? I don't know much about flowers, but I maybe a warm day will bring them back to life. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina, what yarn are you talking about?? The bushes themselves are just fine. The blooming time which is about 2 weeks in April is shot this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dog shadows me everywhere at all times but no, she doesn't nibble at me... Now the horse on the other hand. Seriously, I can't cross the pasture without her hanging over my shoulder nibbling at my sleeves, collar, hair.... Does that count?

    A lot of people around her have lost their Spring plants and flowers to the crazy weather too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,it's nice to hear from you.
Come back soon!