Thursday, March 8, 2007

An opportunity to share my love of books and reading

As I was wondering through the knitting area of blogland,I found this one by Heather She is helping her daughter learn compassion, charity and what, just one person can accomplish when they put their mind to it. I say bravo! And she is giving away yarn to boot. Go check it out.

We did a little learning about helping others this past Christmas. I got a forwarded email about the homeless shelter in Lou. needing food donations for their meal they provide on Christmas. The kids and I made about 4 dozen Christmas M&M (the red & green ones) cookies. We delivered them to the homeless shelter on the morning of Christmas Eve. We talked a lot about the people that would be eating the cookies and why they had no other place to eat and have cookies. We sat in our parking spot and watched more and more people deliver food. We wondered who they were and what food they were bringing.
It was another step for them, on the way to learning about being compassionate, helping others and being thankful for what you have. One of my goals as their mother, is for them to grow up to become the best people they can.

4 comments:

  1. Sonya you are such an awesome mom!! What a cool thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!! That is wonderful!!

    I tried so hard to teach my kids how good they've got it. It finally really sank in for our oldest, at 16, after she took Red Cross courses with my husband, and the two of them got certified as Disaster Responders. Which means they responded together to an apartment fire--2 bedrooms in the place--that displaced the 26 (!!!) people living crammed into it. Wow. The experience definitely taught her gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonya, that is so inspiring. We're often so busy teaching them to live everyday life that we may forget to teach them charity. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonya, you are such a good and caring person, and such a great mom! I'm sure this particular lesson has stayed with them and will make a difference in their life.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,it's nice to hear from you.
Come back soon!